Monday, August 20, 2007

Just a little story.....

We have been so busy getting ready for our HUGE GARAGE SALE Labor Day weekend, Friday and Saturday 8-?. The garage sale is to raise money towards our "Zoey Fund" (which is a loaded term) that we've been working on for over two years now. Madison knows that we've been saving and trying to put every bit aside that we can, we've kept her very involved in the whole process. Some people may think that's a bad thing for a 7 year old to know, but we want her to see every aspect of the process. We don't talk about expense totals or anything, but she knows that it is a costly process. She gets allowance every week for chores she has to do around the house and she has a savings account that we started for her several years ago before she knew about buying things because she had money that she had gotten for birthdays and things we put in that account. She knows that she has that savings account now because we encourage her to add money to it for future "big" purchases (car, college, etc.). The other day we were working on pricing some of the garage sale things and Madison said, "Mommy why don't you and Daddy take my savings money to help buy our plane tickets". I started to cry. "You don't need to cry about it, you can have it, I want you to", she said. I explained to her that that was her money and we weren't going to use it, but that it was so thoughtful of her to offer. She said, "That would at least pay for my plane ticket, right?" Which it would only pay a portion of it, which I didn't tell her, but she kept on anyway. I was so touched by her sweet notion. My child who I spend much of the time fussing at for being rude and inconsiderate was offering her money to help bring her sister home. It touched my heart and I just wanted to share it with you all!

7 comments:

wareaglefam said...

Madison has such a huge heart and a loving spirit. I am not surprised at all that she would want to contribute to bring her baby Zoey home! It won't be long now...
Please feel free to get some of these "treasures" from us for the yard sale. Sorry that we haven't had a chance to get them to you. Something about soccer...HMMM!
Please tell Vince thank you for the invite for Warren. He would have loved going if it weren't for the soccer game. He loves to play, and he even scored a goal!
Love and Hugs,
Tracy

Jen Talley said...

Hi
We are the Talley's and our LID is 12-12-05 also. Love your blog. We are with Open Door Adoption agency and I wanted to know who you guys are with. I'm always looking for possible group members. Are you going nuts with the wait like me?You are welcome to take a look at my blog.

waitingformeimei.blogspot.com

Jen Talley

Journey to Lilly! said...

Amanda, that is a precious story!! Thanks for sharing it with us!
lv & blessings!
Kim

Jen Talley said...

Hi Amanda

Yes you can add me to your blog roll. As long as I can add you to mine. We live in Albany GA. That's Southwest of Atlanta. And I was doing some checking and I think you guys are in our travel group. We are in 122b. I saw that you had Courtney from Digging to China on your blog roll. I've made contact with her also. She is in group 122b too. If you are in my group let me know. I'd really like to get to know you before we go get our girls.

Jen

Courtney said...

Thanks for sharing this story! Children have such big hearts!

The Ferrill's said...

Hey Amanda! What a precious story! Madison is such a great big sis already! I am so excited about your journey! Hey, when you come get Tracy's things for the sale, will you pick up these suitcases too? I think you could get at least a couple of dollars for them!
Love you,
Laine

Christine said...

Carson talks about Madison's little sister all of the time. We can't wait to see her and watch Madison help take care of her...what a fantastic big sister she already is! You know of course that I am crying now!! I'm so glad the garage sale went well. God is preparing the way...and I pray comforting you as you wait. We love all four of you! Christine