Monday, July 23, 2007

The View From Alaska

Obviously, from my posts we have a very close family on both sides. We love getting to spend time with them all and are blessed they that are all so close, my parents and grandparents being the furthest in state and they are in Huntsville just an hour and a half from us. Well my brother is actually the furthest from "home", he and his lovely wife, Summer, live in Valdez, Alaska. They moved there almost two years ago and because of the adoption we haven't been able to go up and visit since we are saving money and time off. Thank goodness we have seen him twice since the move, but it is hard with them being so far away. Joseph is in the United States Coast Guard and is Petty Officer First Class, as of this June. We are all so proud of him and the career he has chosen. Summer is working in Valdez as well, she does drug testing and interviewing of the crews that come into port, which has been enforced much more since the Exxon Valdez oil spill. They also have a dog, Achilles, who is their baby! Joseph and Summer recently went fishing and sent me some pictures of their trip and some Killer Whales they saw.

It's hard to see, but there is a fin in the middle both of these pictures.

This one is easier to see!

They did good catching some halibut. I think Summer's fish is bigger than Joseph's!

And here is Summer and their baby, Achilles, he's a very large baby isn't he?
They also hike with Achilles alot and go 4 wheeling. These are some pictures they sent of a mother grizzley bear and her cubs, so I thought I would share them. The bears are a little hard to see but in most of the pictures they are about in the middle. Joseph said their were people about 10-15 feet away from them, which is very dangerous, and there have been warnings posted to stay away from them. They kept a good distance, but were able to catch some beautiful pictures.

I love this picture because you can see that little grizzly cub head in the middle of the picture sticking out of the grass. The scenery is just amazing to me and this is a place where they hike frequently. I can't imagine seeing that incredible view in town!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Oh My -
What a wonderful family we have! God is so good to us - do we thank Him enough?
Love,
Mom

wareaglefam said...

When can we book a trip? I can get my bags packed in a hurry! I've always wanted to go to Alaska. Hope all is well...I miss talking to you. Maybe when school starts back up, things will calm down a bit. Did I just type that? Who am I kidding?? Love to all!
Tracy