Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A weekend at Desoto State Park

Several weeks ago our friends the Bosworth's had invited us to spend a weekend at Desoto State Park with them over spring break. We were so excited about getting away for a weekend and also apprehensive because this would be our first time going out of town with Zoey. When you have children you know that your kids are never going to sleep as well away from home, I don't even sleep good away from home. But all in all she did fine and we had a wonderful weekend. We got to relax too because there was lots of helpers to take care of Zoey!We had hoped for sunny weather, which we didn't get. And it was a little cooler than we expected, but we didn't have too much rain and were still able to get out and ride our bikes, and do some hiking. I think that Zoey really loved all the attention from Alec and Gibson. The kids all had a great time playing with Zoey, but believe me she let them know when she had had enough! When we got there on Friday we went for a bike ride. It was pretty bumpy for some of us older folks (me!), but it was a lot of fun to watch the kids (and the adult men) goofing around and relaxing. My bike wasn't made for offroading! Say "Hello" to our campfire master Pat. Friday night we cooked out hotdogs and made Smores, which I hadn't had in years. What a great night! Zoey didn't sleep so great, but the kids did so Saturday was nice. They all bunked on the floor and the adults got the beds, although I don't know which was more comfortable. No bed is ever as good as yours at home!Zoey took a good nap that morning while the boys went on a mountain trail bike ride. It pretty much wore the grown boys out I think! Pat and Vince looked pretty pooped when they got back, but Alec and Gibson were ready for another ride. We drove up to Desoto Falls, which was absolutely beautiful. I don't know if I had ever been there. For some reason I think I might have in college, but am not sure. After that it was back to the cabin for lunch and then out for an afternoon hike. Zoey spent half the weekend covered in Cheese Puffs! And she tried Grahm Crackers too, which were a big hit! Saturday late afternoon Hope, Zoey, and I ran into Fort Payne to get some more soft drinks and a birthday cake for Gibson, because his birthday was Sunday March 30. While we were gone the guys got a campfire going and cooked out some burgers. We got back and ate and then had birthday cake, which Zoey really enjoyed I must say! After that it was back to the campfire to enjoy our last night away. Poor Zoey was so exhausted after a fun filled day on the mountain, which so were we all. It was a great quick little getaway!

4 comments:

wareaglefam said...

Oh what fun!!! I really enjoyed reading the post and looking at all of the pictures! We want to go next time!

Tracy

Ps. I got your message the other day. I'll try to call you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Amanda-
you have been to DeSota more than once. The first time was before you were born......tee hee! The cabin we were in - hmmmmm. no support in the "mattress" especially for someone great with child!
I am so thankful for your family friendship with Hope and Pat....
Love,
Mom

The Ferrill's said...

What fun! I didn't know DeSoto had cabins, and they look nice! It looks like yall had a blast! We love to go camping, biking, roast marshmallows, and all that! You're giving me the fever!

monkeyseemonkeydontdo said...

Awwwwe....Look at that happy family!!!!! Love ya!