Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday to remember












Well, this will probably be a long post because it has been a long day. First I have to say that yesterday and last night were great. Zoey slept and so did I finally. This morning we got up and had breakfast and then met at 8:30 for the bus ride to Poyang County SWI (social welfare institute). Driving in China is NOTHING like driving in the US. For one thing there are no road rules. It's every man for himself, seriously. I can't look out the window in traffic because it is so scary. So on the way to the orphanage we drove a long two lane road through unbelievable landscapes and economic situations. What we would see as abandoned hovels are actually homes and stores. There were rice patties everywhere you looked, chickens, ducks, and a few cows. People walking everywhere, clotheslines with clothes on them in places that you wouldn't expect anyone to live. There was an accident on one of the bridges on our way there and traffic was stopped, when we made it by there was literally a huge piece of the side of the bridge railing missing, a helmet, blood on the road, and no ambulance, some police leaving the scene and that's it. We wondered if anyone went below into the water to retrieve whomever might have gone over the edge. After a 3 hour ride we arrived at the orphanage. It was very nice and clean. The workers were more than hospitable and gave us all kinds of fruits and hot water to drink in a lovely room with hard wood furniture. They were very kind to answer all of our questions. If we ever wondered why our children had on so many layers of clothing the answer was given to us as soon as we walked up. The doorways are all open with no doors, there is no heating and the buildings are stone. It was absolutely FREEZING. We could see our breath in the welcome room. They permitted us to walk through the rooms where the babies were and actually see them in their beds. They actually don't sleep in beds they are all in baskets and completely swaddled in a million blankets. All you could see were their little faces. One baby was only 3 days old. One started to cry while we were there and no nanny came over to calm it, Mom actually leaned down and patted it. It was absolutely the most heart wrenching thing I've ever been through. I couldn't walk all the way through. It was good to see where Zoey has spent her first 7 months of life. And it was very obvious how much the nannies and workers cared for the children, they cried when we left. It was very clean though and at least she was found and had some shelter and care. We are very appreciative for that. After the orphanage, the director and staff took us all to lunch at local restaurant. It was one of the more interesting experiences of my life. We had all kinds of local favorites for lunch including some spicy kind of what looked like miniature green beans, mushrooms, noodles, fish with head on it, pork and sticky rice balls, dumplings, fruit, egg soup, chicken including the feet fried, Chinese beer, and rice wine liquor. After the meal the whole staff at the restaurant wanted their pictures made with all of us and several of the men took pictures with Madison. She was definitely the star of the bunch. Bless her heart, she was such a good sport about it, they even wanted to pick her up. She also was a trooper when it came to going to the bathroom and it was a squat potty (a hole in the ground). The workers and the director were all very kind and we had a really enjoyable experience. Zoey has been such a treat today, giving us lots of smiles, coos, and laughing hysterically. It's been a very long, emotional, but wonderful day.

17 comments:

lee marlow said...

Thank you so much...I was getting worried. Well, it sounds like a very interesting experience, and I guess seeing that is very important so you can explain it to zoey when she grows up, and to show Madison how lucky she is. I know it has made an impact on my girls, and they aren't even there. I am so glad that yall are doing better with Zoey...it's all happy days from here on out! When do you go to Ghangzhou? WE are counting down the days to get you home...love, lee and tyler and the girls

The Ferrill's said...

Oh AMANDA. You worded this so perfectly that I felt I was walking through that orphanage with you. I am just crying thinking about all those babies waiting on their mommas and daddys. Little Madison is learning so much about life and love through this experience. I am SO glad you were able to take her with yall! We never know how this is going to affect our children as they grow older, Madison might decide to adopt one day, or work with orphans, you never know! Your sister sent out the sweetest email to everyone about how proud she was of you. I am proud of you too, Amanda! You are doing WONDERFUL! Like a good momma bear stepping up to the plate for her little cub. God is at such great work in your family!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy as much you can the sights, smells, and sounds of China, Zoey's birth home. And get ready for some good shopping in Guangzhou! ;)
When do yall leave for there?
Love,
Laine

monkeyseemonkeydontdo said...

My skin tingles when I read your stories, it is hard to sit still and just read this. I laugh, I cry I read and look at the photos all day. I'll be off doing something and see Zoey in my mind and run to the computer to see her picture and your amazig smile again. I haven't see you this happy in a long time, and it is so heartwarming. I want you to know how proud we all are of you and Vince, this is a huge undertaking and you are the prefect people for it, and for Zoey. Of course she was laughing, have you met you???? You always keep me smiling! Madison, you look so happy too! I know that you will keep that little girl very happy for years to come. I am so proud of you, not many girls would be so comfortable doing this. YOU ARE AMAZING!!! Look at your parents, of course you are amazing!! You guys stay warm, and get home!!!!
We miss you and love you tons!!!

wareaglefam said...

Oh my...those babies. I can't stand it. I can't imagine wat that was like to walk through and to see all of those sweet babies waiting for their forever families to come and get them. I am so glad that Zoey is finally with you guys.
Tell Madison that she is a super star with us too! We love you guys, and we can't wait to see all of you!
Lee...you are cracking me up1 It is very addicting, isn't it?
Tracy

Courtney Stephens said...

Amanda,
She is absolutely beautiful! I get chills and tears in my eyes when I read the posts. I am so happy for you guys! I hope to meet her soon! Ya'll be safe and I will be thinking of you!
Love,
Courtney

Donnette said...

Amanda:

I cannot believe what ya'll are having to go through. I can relate to not liking to be out of your element. I will pray that God continues to give you the peace you need to get through the next few days. I am glad that Zoey is beginning to sleep a little more. Sleep alone will make you feel a world of difference. She is so beautiful and I agree that she does look like Suzanna. We, as Mom's, have to go through some really difficult moments and sacrifice more than they will ever know but we know we wouldn't have any other way. Way to go MOM!!!
Talk to you soon and my prayers are with you!!!!

Donnette

Anonymous said...

Hey Joy (Nana)
So glad to hear all the news from yesterday. Amanda should write a book when she gets home. All thses wonderful posts will be treasures for Zoey someday. The pictures of the babies just broke my heart. So sweet and beautiful. Makes you wonder why they make everyone wait so long to give them a forever family. Still praying for all of you each day. Miss you. Love, Susan

Samantha said...

Thanks so much for sharing the photos! What an experience!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

I'm so glad your trip to Zoey's orphanage was a positive experience for you all. The pictures were sweet and very touching. Thank you for sharing.

Lots of love from Alabama!
Jan

Anonymous said...

What a awesome experience for you guys! I'm so happy that it has finally come to fruition and being able to experience that with you has been great!!! Who would have thought that 11-12 years ago when we were hanging out in Montevallo that we would be talking about our families and children now?? Congratulations!! Love you guys!
Christine Kilgro

Joseph and Summer said...

Hello again from Alaska. Summer and I keep sending stuff, maybe this one will work? We're both glad you all are doing good over there. The pics from the Orphanage are pretty interesting. The babys look so cute in their baskets. We're so happy for you guys and Zoey is very lucky to have you all too!! Glad to hear things are going better and that your getting some sleep!! Give Mom and Madison a hug and kiss from us and Hello to Vince!! We love and miss ya'll!!

Love,

Joseph and Summer

Valarie Lea said...

Your Dad just told me about your blog. So I have been reading some of your post and looking at the pictures. I am so happy for yall!! She is just precious.

Valarie

Anonymous said...

I feel like I just got a baby. She is so precious. Look at those feet!!!! I can't even tell you how happy and proud I am for y'all. I love you and will see you when you get home.

Shirley said...

Thank you so much for the orphange pictures.Our daughter is also from the Poyang SWI and we were never allowed to go there. We came home in July 2007. She is now 16 mos old. It must have been a very touching experience to see where your little one was taken care of..
Thanks again!!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet little blessing.I am so happy for you all. Madison seems to be the best big sister ever! You have two very beautiful girls!!!
Tanya

Shalita said...

Hey Amanda! I love the sweet glow that you ALL have as you hold your new bundle! Zoey is BEAUTIFUL! Her smile just warms my heart! Seeing you all together brings flowing tears! God is so GREAT!!! His mercy endures forever!
Madison looks like a pro aleady! She is precious in the big sister role! She is going to be such a great example for Zoey to follow!
Our family is praying for all of you! May God continue to bring more sleep, more coos, more laughter, more kisses and more cuddling!!!!!!

Mick said...

Thank you so much for posting this.

We just brought home our daughter who is from the same orphanage and now I know why she prefers sleeping in a cooler room. (grin).

Judging by her personality we were already pretty sure the that they were well taken care of in Poyang, but your blog just made us feel so much better.