Monday, January 28, 2008

Still in Nanchang

So everything with our certificates and things was fixed no problem. We loaded up and headed to the airport at 2:30. We got their about 3:30 and the whole way there we fought iced roads. We sat at the airport until 6:30 and during that time found out that people had been sitting at the airport for 2 days waiting to fly to Guangzhou so any flights going there were loading these people that had been waiting. We had to sit at the airport for a certain amount of time before they would refund our plane tickets so we could then turn around and book train tickets, yes, I said TRAIN tickets. We came back to downtown Nanchang and are staying at a different hotel, but thank God we have a bed to sleep in. Tomorrow we leave around 3 in the afternoon we think, by train for a 12 hour train trip in sleeper cars to Guangzhou. We have to get special permission from the US Consulate to still make our appointments on Thursday. We have to have their medicals done before our Consulate appointment, so we are all praying that we can get the babies medicals done when we get to Guangzhou on Wednesday. Needless to say, it has been a VERY long day. And who would expect any differently when talking about us on a trip that China would have the worst freezing weather it's had in like 30 years. We told everyone at the airport that it's because they are traveling with us that this happened. We'll hopefully be posting on Wednesday night from the White Swan, but I probably won't get to post tomorrow. Pray for good weather on the train! All in all at least we still all like each other and are managing to laugh about everything. Tonight after getting to the hotel Zoey found her laugh and we have been cracking up at her while we play and tickle her. Madison, God love her, has been a trooper throughout this day too. She is so exhausted she actually didn't want to eat dinner, even dessert. They have some fabulous gas masks in the closets in our room that Vince was going to model for us but we were afraid to take them out of the boxes, hopefully we won't be needing those for anything tonight. Having all this happen today has really been humorous and none of us has really been to bothered by it. The babies have all been great. We were worried about traveling with them and they have all been so good, we're all much more worn out than they are. All of us adults only care about being able to leave to come home on Saturday! Pray that everything falls into place from here on out! Then we can see you on Saturday.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the travel woes and weather troubles but am glad that you all can have a sense of humor about it. I will pray for a safe and uneventful trip and that everything with Zoey goes smoothly. I love you all.
Tricia

monkeyseemonkeydontdo said...

NO POST TUESDAY???? I'm crushed! I love having my morning coffee and reading about you guys! Oh well, I'll just have to be a big girl. I didn't get a chance to post yesterday about the photo of you and Zoey, Amanda to say I was blown away is an understatement. I lost my breath, and just stared for I don't know how long at the photos. We all keep saying how lucky Zoey is to have you guys, and vice versa, the love is amazing. It moves me to tears everytime, simple photos from a hotel room on an unmade bed with no fancy lighting, and it is the most amazing photo I have ever seen! Love you and travle safe!!!

lee marlow said...

Oh what a nightmare...I can't believe you are staying so positive through all of this. It sounds very scarey. I guess it's comforting to know that you have others with you in the same situation. The train ride sounds fabulouso!Hope you don't reinact when we were kids and vomit in the bed. I also hope no one reinacts "Murder on the Orient Express" of course this would be the Ghongzhou express...but still orinetal. Post as soon as you can....we will all be worrying about you. We love ya...

Anonymous said...

Can't believe the adventure you are on! What memories for a lifetime!! So glad you can still laugh!

Know that we are keeping up with your progress daily and thinking of you all! Blessings on all 5 of you!

Love to you!
Tommy and Dianne

Anonymous said...

Bless your hearts! Wow, this is REALLY turning into an adventure! I am so glad Vince decided to stay with you the whole two weeks. Also glad you guys can maintain your humor through it all. What wonderful stories you will have to tell Zoey when she is older :-)

We will be praying for you here at home.

Love ya,
Jan

Shades Valley Choral Department said...

I can't wait till ya'll get home!!!! UMMMMM..... more pics please.
love you
cantwells

Shades Valley Choral Department said...

Gas masks.....ummmm - please post a picture of Vince in the gas mask.
Please oh please

Carla said...

our agency had a group in Nanchang that got caught as well, they made it finally...but missed the medical scheduled.

Another family was caught in Hefei, which is having the same problems. I think you were smart to book the train...while 12 hours sounds like a LOOONG train ride, and from I heard (squatty potties only, and food is interesting) you could have an interesting 12 hours. I'll be praying for you and the rest of the travel group. {hug}

Joseph and Summer said...

Hello again,
Sorry it's cold there but it looks awesome. Zoey looks so happy and so do all of you. We're trying to stay here but I don't think it will happen we don't want to leave. I've always wanted to take an overnight train ride kinda jealous. I hope it is a ruff ride. We miss ya'll...take care and give everyone a big hug from us!! Love

Joseph and Summer

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
We have been out of town this weekend, so I just got all caught up. God is so good...and in control. I know you are worried but He will work all things together for good. So try not to worry!! I am SO enjoying Zoey's sweet face. Thank you for sharing all this with us. I know it's extra work for you when you just want to be with her. But what a blessing it is to be able to share in this joy with you. We love you guys and can't wait till you get home.
Love you
Shell

The Ferrill's said...

We are praying fervently here in Springville, Amanda! I cannot BELIEVE there are such weather issues! God is in control, and it sounds like you are totally letting Him deal with this! I'm so glad to hear yall can keep your sense of humor! I mean after all, it's either laugh or cry and you might as well laugh, huh? I am hoping by the time you read this comment you are safe and sound in Guangzhou and the LONG train ride is forgotten. I pray it is smooth, peaceful and the rest of your trip will go as scheduled, especially coming home Saturday! The pics of Zoey are just precious in the posts below! I LOVE the one of you snuggling and then telling us about rocking her. SWEET! TEARS!
We just can't wait for you to get home! I know, you're probably going "ME TOO!" You are all being such troopers, hold on a little longer, you're almost home!
We love yall!

Julie said...

Hang in there! Just think about the soory you can tell! Sleeper cars to Gunagzhou! Who else will have done that?

lee marlow said...

I am so tired of pulling up the same blog....I need a new message..one that is more uplifting and promising. My heart is breaking for you guys, and I am so worried. I ran into Tracy today at Target and we hugged like long lost friends, I think because we were the closest thing to you that we had to cling to. I have also talked to Tricia, Heather, Carolyn, Tammy Mathews, Ann B. all wishing you the best! Can't wait to hear from you again...hugs and kisses...