Saturday, January 26, 2008

Tour Day in Nanchang
















We got up this morning and met in the lobby at 9:30 for a day of touring. It froze last night and everything was a sheet of ice, but this is China so onto the bus we go, just bundle up. We first went to a Buddhist Temple which was very interesting. The painting on the walls and ceilings was amazing and the statues were incredible. Madison was so funny, she said, " So did this guy used to live here or what is this?" It was so funny. So there I am trying to explain that some people worship Buddha and not making any sense. Outside the entrances there were these huge pot/trough things were people came and burned incense, the smell was stronger than any I've ever smelled. The people were all very nice and welcoming. One of the largest Buddha's was 16 tons, but hollow on the inside our guide said, if not it would over 100 tons. There were lots of large branches down in the courtyards because of the ice and there was a lady there singing some song while she picked up and moved the branches. Something about it was so calming in a way after the bustle of this city being so crazy. After this temple we went on to another "tower" our guide called it, a pagoda. Again it was very interesting, not as ornate or dazzling. It was very iced over so we all had to be careful not to kill ourselves, yes, you all know I am talking about myself particularly. This pagoda did have a very big tower that most of the men climbed. I didn't even attempt to cross over the threshold. Vince said the steps were incredibly steep, more like a ladder. After this historical cite seeing tour, they took us to a local porcelain store. The items were beautiful and most very expensive. Some the vases were unbelievably huge, and cost over $1000. We found some beautiful porcelain chopsticks to save for Zoey and a few other things. We then came back to the hotel and decided to venture out in the sleet to Pizza Hut and oh was the pizza worth it. It was freezing by the time we got back to the hotel. We all rested and thawed out. Around 6:00 we were to meet at a restaurant on the 9th floor for a formal Chinese dinner. Our guide explained that none of the food was "not normal", we wouldn't be eating dog or anything like that. Well, some of it was "not normal" to say the least, but we all tried some of most of it. I for one tried the Fish Lips, and let me tell you I am NOT a better person for it. I could definitely lived my days without that taste! YUCK! We also had beef, shrimp, chicken, eggplant, fish, and some veggies. It was a very huge spread of food and even though the food was not to our liking it was a wonderful presentation. Zoey made it through a bath tonight without screaming. I got in with her this time and she had a ball splashing around. This afternoon she had the best time playing on the bed with Madison. She just stared at her and giggled and has been smiley and giggly all afternoon. We have one more day here and then it's off to Guangzhou. The bridge to the airport was closed today because of ice, pray that we don't have any travel problems to delay our trip home. All in all the trip is going by faster and even though it has been a difficult time at some points, it has been well worth it and I am glad we've gotten to experience the sights, sounds, smells, foods, and life of where our daughter is from. It will be wonderful to share it with her when she is older. She is in Vince's lap cooing away right now and it's just so precious to hear her little babbling voice!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fish lips! YUM. I can't believe you did not like them. I am so glad that you did not injure yourself. I'm glad you went ahead and embraced the fact that you are accident prone. It sounds like you guys are having a great experience. Zoey sounds and looks like such a happy baby. And you all look like a happy family with her. I can't beleive you still have a week in China. While I'm glad you get to spend the time there, I am dying to talk to you and see you. I'm sure it will fly by. Enjoy and be careful. I will pray for no travel delays.
love tricia

lee marlow said...

I love the pictures of Zoey and Madison....they are making me cry! I hope that the ice thaws so yall make it to your next destination in time...so then you'll be one step closer to home. Keep the posts coming....we love them...and need them...because we are addicted. It's Saturday morning...no one has to be anywhere early (miracle) and Emily's at the computer at 6:40 a.m. saying "Mom, they posted!". It's really been fun for all of us. We love you all...

Anonymous said...

Goodness, I feel just like I have been on the trip with you! Amanda, you have done such a wonderful job sharing with us all! Zoey looks like she has accepted her new family perfectly, and big sister Madison has been amazing! Enjoy the next week! We are looking forward to your return!

monkeyseemonkeydontdo said...

Ah the sound of the angels comes through the voices of the young! I have always thought that. It looks like the tour was cool, I would like that part, not so much the fish lips. Huge props to you for even trying it, you are becoming quite the thrill seeker! Madison, once again I have to say how comfortable you look as the big sister! I am so proud of you for doing this with your parents, China is a pretty extream place for a young person to venture to, and you seem to be doing it with the grace God gave you! I hope you guys are keeping journals of all of this! Yummmmmy, I bet that pizza tasted better than you ever thought it would :)!!! LOVE TO ALL!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am so excited to finally catch up on all your letter's. You guys are awesome, inspirational, amazing.....I could go on and on. What a beautiful family you are. I love all the pictures and seeing where you've been and where Zoey came from. Have a safe trip home!! Love, The Sanders Family

Carla said...

Beautiful frozen scenes! Touring Kunming is one thing I wish we could have done more of. It seems, to me, that our trip just flew by...but sometimes parts of the day just crawled by (mostly when we were stuck in the hotel with a sick baby).

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! Praying for you and safe travel for the rest of the trip.

The Ferrill's said...

Oh Amanda the pics are so great and you can just see Zoey's little face begin to glow with love..seriously! She has already changed so much!
I love reading about all your experiences...it takes me back! Now that we've been home 6 mos, the trip seems so surreal. You're doing a great job of documenting every detail and you will be glad you did 6 mos. from now!
Can't wait for next Saturday! ;)

Christine said...

It's amazing what miracles come with a little poop! I'm so glad Zoey's discomfort has been relieved! Fish lips? Really? Don't think I would be up for that one! Can't believe how wonderful Zoey looks...she looks so very happy as do all of you! Praying for easy travel at all stages.
Love, Christine